In 1888 it was raised to the High School status and is considered one of the oldest High Schools in South India. Till the First World War, the School was under the charge of German and Swiss Missionaries. Since during the war, Germany was on the opposite side to the then ruling English Government in India, there were some complications and problems in administrating the properties of the Basel Mission, including Schools. In 1918, the management was transferred to Indians.
It received Permanent Recognition by the Madras Government in 1940 vide their order number-5189/40 under the Education Wing of the Basel Mission Church, namely, Malabar & South Kanara Education Society.